Senator Bill Dodd, D-Napa, on Wednesday issued this statement on the eve of the six-month anniversary of the devastating wildfires that began Oct. 8:
“It’s hard to describe the heartache you feel as you see homes reduced to ash and the faces of people whose lives have been so violently disrupted. We will not forget these people. We also must take necessary steps prevent future wildfires and adopt practices and policies to protect our communities going forward. Over the last six months, we have made meaningful progress, but there is still much that needs to be done.
In the face of tragedy, I’ve been inspired by how our community has come together. It’s with that spirit of compassion that, together, we will rebuild, recover, and thrive.”
To that end, Senator Dodd is advancing key wildfire legislation. He is chairman of the Senate Governmental Organization Committee, which has jurisdiction over bills involving the state Office of Emergency Services. Current legislation and budget requests:
- SB 901/1088 (Electric Utility Reforms) – Requires policies and procedures for proactively de-energizing utility lines, and mandates new measures to harden the grid.
- SB969 (Garage Door Safety) – Requires new or replaced automatic door openers to have battery backups. Cleared key committee this week.
- SB 894 (Insurance Reforms) – Requires at least 2 years of insurance renewals for victims; Allows disaster victims to combine coverage categories and extend their living expenses coverage over 3 years.
- SB 1040 (Support Services) – Helps evacuees and those impacted by natural disasters to access In-Home Support Services (IHSS).
- SB 833 (Emergency Alerts) – Jointly authoring with Senator Mike McGuire, D-Healdsburg. Would create statewide standards, support and training to ensure all Californians get emergency alerts where and when they are needed.
- Increasing Mutual Aid & CAL FIRE – Asking for a $184 million to fund the mutual aid system and purchase engines and augment staffing for CAL FIRE.
Senator Bill Dodd represents California’s 3rd Senate District, which includes all or portions of Solano, Napa, Sonoma, Yolo, Sacramento, and Contra Costa Counties. You can learn more about Senator Dodd at www.sen.ca.gov/dodd