Originally Published on Inkdesign.Ca
Google Maps can be an important tool for your website, helping clients find you place of business, providing directions, reviews, and links to your website. Many times the Yellow Pages has already submitted your business to Google maps so you have a listing, but the information on your listing may be incomplete or inaccurate.
HOW TO CLAIM YOUR GOOGLE BUSINESS LISTING ON GOOGLE MAPS/PLACES:
1. Sign in to your Google Account or create an account for free.
2. Go to www.google.ca. Type in your business name and city and click search. For this example, we are using a fiction business called “Moe’s Dog Grooming”.
3. On the right had side, you will see the Search options. Click on “Maps”
4. Next you will see a map of your location region, with your business listed on the left hand side of the page.
5. Click on your business name, and a location box will appear on the Map (see below example)
6. Click on the “More info” in your location box.
WHAT YOUR LISTING LOOKS LIKE:
Now you will see your full business listing – click the “Manage this Page” link at the bottom right of the page.
EDIT YOUR BUSINESS INFORMATION:
Click the option to “Edit Business Information” and click “Continue“.
Next you will taken to a page where you can edit your basic business information – Name, address, phone, etc. Make sure to add in your website address and email. You will also have the option to upload some photos of your products/services or storefront. This helps personalize your map listing. Next, click “Submit”
VERIFY YOUR LISTING:
Google now needs to prove that you are the owner of this business, and will give you a PIN (verification code) which will verify your listing and the edits you have made will then be live. You can receive this PIN either by:
a) Google will call your business phone number (it is an automated recording) and give you the PIN.
b) Google will send you a text message with the PIN.
c) Google will email you a postcard with the PIN on it.
Once you receive your PIN you can enter it into the Google Places account. Once the listing has been verified, the listing will appear on Google.