How is a Little House on the Trailer Permitted?

The Little House on the Trailer sells two types of houses

Home Care Cottages are 400 square foot recreational trailers that can be issued a special use permit in the unincorporated areas of Sonoma County for a nominal fee. You can manage the application or we can introduce you to a professional Permit Expediter. The Home Care Cottage can be occupied by either a person giving care or receiving care. A doctor’s note is all that is required by the county, and that note is not required to disclose medical information, only that the doctor believes that the patient will benefit from Home Care assistance. The permit requirements for these are much simpler, less time consuming (weeks versus months) and less expensive ($1000 versus $20,000) than permits for our second type of home.

An Accessory Dwelling Unit is a manufactured home that in unincorporated Sonoma County can be up to 1000 square feet and requires a permanent foundation. It impacts sewage disposal, fire protection issues and is subject to substantial fees that can amount from 15 to 20 thousand dollars. The requirements for an Accessory Dwelling Unit have recently been liberalized. The advantage of an Accessory Dwelling Unit is that it is a permanent improvement to real property. It is large enough to house a family and may be rented out for income. A typical return on investment is 12%/annum. Permitting can be complicated and expensive and The Little House on the Trailer recommends the services of a professional Permit Expediter to help in this process.


For further information please call Stephen Marshall at 415-233-0423